Deck Maintenance after the Winter thawFebruary 8, 2016
What is The Perfect Paint Finishes for Humid Rooms?February 13, 2016
OH NO, MORE SNOW..
If you remember the winter of 2015 in New England and you have a home then there is a good possibility you contemplated having your roof shoveled or actually did have your roof shoveled.
The question we usually receive is do you shovel roofs? The quick answer: YES
Fortunately for many last year was only the second time in the last 6 years that we had to shovel roofs and break ice dams to release backed up water on our customer’s roofs.
Why do you need your roof shoveled?
- In most cases you do not need it done. But on occasion, Once snow begins to accumulate, thaws
and forms ice on the edge of your roof due to thawing cycle water can not exit the roof as it melts and begins to work its way under the shingles and into the home. More snow accumulates time after time and this is the main reason we remove the snow and sometimes ice dams.
- Snow weight is sometimes a factor on homes especially flat or slightly peaked roofs. Building codes in new England account for snow weight but heavy snow accumulated on the roof and once again thawing, possibly rain on top of the snow and more snow can place a burden on the roof and the precaution is to have it removed.
Precautions to make and observe from our time on roofs:
- Be careful up there, If you fall most likely you will get hurt.
- If you are not comfortable on the ladder stay off one.
- If you do make it to the roof to shovel use a plastic shovel with no metal blade as this can cut a rubber or delicate roof.
- If the roof is fragile and in need or replacement before winter there is a good chance the brittle shingles will break and additional damage will be done while shoveling.
- In some instances shoveling can be performed from a ladder and or a snow rake and attempting to get on the roof can be avoided.
- Do not jump off the roof into a snow pile as you do not know what is under it.
- Most important: When shoveling the roof DO NOT BURY THE EXHAUST FOR THE FURNACE. This will cause a CO2 backup in the house and can cause death. If you feel you have a CO@ backup call 911 immediately.
- When dropping snow from the roof it will compact and be very heavy to move. Dropping snow on bushes and small trees will cause damage to them. Strategically figure out the best place to drop the snow. If dropping the snow to a lower deck, please remember the deck is not made for extreme weight. Snow weighs about 15 lbs per cubic foot
What is the cost of having snow removed from your roof?
Most contractors charge a minimum fee plus an hourly rate. We have seen fees from $45-$75 per hour per man working on a house. Another factor is if they have to clear the snow they drop off the roof it will be the same charge as when they are on the roof as they could be clearing additional roofs at this time.
When roof shoveling has to be performed roof quotes are hard to find as the demand is so great quite often the contractor does not have time to provide quotes ahead of time. The tip is to find a range they will charge for a similar home like yours.
If you are in need of roof shoveling, please feel free in contacting us by leaving a message on our business line or contacting us on Facebook at Ramsden painting or 978-683-9119.