Does you home need washing or painting?June 26, 2017
Who repairs holes from Plumbers and Electricians? Hole repair 101June 27, 2017
We were recently brought into a beach front home with failing paint that had interior factory finished
window trim paint that had failed. The failure was very noticeable on almost all the interior trim around the windows which was factory primed and installed approximately five years ago were failing.
The two scenarios that caused the trim to bubble and fail are these but were never 100% determined and the repair was paid for by a homeowner’s insurance claim.
Names and locations are not disclosed to protect all parties involved. We were brought in to make everything right again.
The first scenarios was that the factory prime had failed or it was a “bad” batch of primer and after being exposed to the hot sun and extreme beach weather failed.
The second scenarios was that the windows were outside during the building process and gotten wet by some rain or some other source. The windows were then installed and work finished on the home. As the wood began to dry out the water was drawn o the surface and made the failure and bubbling of the paint no on the windows.
The following is the process we took to achieve the original factory finish:
- Protect all areas around the windows that were not being painted.
- remove the old failed paint by cutting with utility knives and putting knives. (as you can see in the picture the wood was pretty rough under the primer)
- sand all edges with a dustless extraction systems.
- utilize wood putty, various brands to smooth out wood and transition places were old paint met new paint.
- Prime all exposed wood with Benjamin Moore oil based interior primer.
- We then caulked as needed with Latex paintable caulking.
- Applied two coats of Benjamin Moore Advanced latex paint to all windows.
All though this is not a common occurrence with windows or any other trim due to it being of the odd variety i thought i would share my observances and remedy for the repair.
If I can assist with questions or book an appointment for a FREE estimate please visit our web page at https://ramsdenpainting.com