Flip This House or Flip This FurnitureApril 9, 2015
The 5 most common questions I am asked as a painter…May 3, 2015
Wallpaper removal, a nightmare or a day at the beach.
Wallpaper is still popular but the colors, texture and style has changed. We often are asked about wallpaper removal or just painting right over it. I often cringe when we are asked to paint over the paper as in most cases this making a situation much worse down the road.
Painting over paper is usually done with an oil primer to “lock down the paper” so air bubbles and pealing will not occur after it is dry.
This is the quick and easy solution but a few things you must be aware of ahead of time:
- Your wallpaper seams will show as well as any wall repairs.
- If the wallpaper had any texture this will also be visible.
- If you need to remove the wallpaper at a later date, plan on a week vacation to perform this project.
The other and most common option is removal of the wallpaper.
There are many methods and “tricks” to doing this and I think we have tried them all. I will list a few for you to try:
- Rent a wallpaper steamer and please be careful as these can burn your hands.
- Mix hot water and either a wallpaper remover (DIF) , fabric softener or white vinegar spray liberally on the walls so they are soaked, wait a while and start removing the paper with a wide smooth putty knife.
- For stubborn wallpaper, whip up joint compound to be very loose and lightly skim on the wall and cover with plastic. Leave for 30 minutes and then remove plastic and then use the putty knife. Expect a huge mess…..
Prior to staring stripping the wallpaper protect everything and do not get anything on the ceiling, watch out for your electrical switches and receptacles.
I know by now this is not sounding like fun but once it is all off including the residual glue/paste you are ready to prime your walls and repair all the “oops” when the putty knife scarred the wall by mistake. We have found an interior oil primer works best at the next step to prep the wall for the final step.
By now painting is the FUN part and the end is in sight.
If all this sounds like it is not how you want to spend your weekend, and you live in or around the Methuen area, please give us a call and we would be happy to provide a free estimate. 1-800-PAINTING