How to Paint Two Story Room?January 13, 2016
Maintenance of exterior trim, A home in AndoverJanuary 18, 2016
Long hot steamy showers, results: water damage
Water dripping down the walls
Water damage at the edges of the shower walls
Mildew on the ceiling
Paint cracking and flaking on the window trim
These are just some of the things we see when we are asked to paint and repair a bathroom. The major factors in water damage in a bathroom that we have seen is steam from the shower and the presence of water were water should not be.
The preventative measures that we suggest that can be taken in regards to paint are:
- Applying Benjamin Moore Aura Bath and Spar on all the walls, Benjamin Moore Bath and Spar has been engineered to resist mold growth in humid areas. It also allows stains to be washed off in regards to the streaking from water running down the walls after a long shower.
- Applying Benjamin Moore Kitchen and Bath for the ceiling.
- Specially formulated to resist mildew growth on the paint film
If mold is already present per Benjamin Moore:
Remove all mildew from the surface by scrubbing it with a diluted household bleach solution (one part bleach, three parts water), while wearing rubber gloves and eye protection. Rinse thoroughly.
To protect against mildew, use a top-quality latex paint, and clean when necessary with a bleach/detergent solution. Also, consider installing an exhaust fan in high-moisture areas.
If wallboard or paint failure has occurred:
- In some instances you may be able o scrape down the loose and failing area and apply wallboard compound and finish to a desired smooth or texture to match surrounding walls.
- If area is to soft or wet, the area will have to be removed and new wallboard installed, taped and finished.
Trim or wood surfaces:
Usually when this area has been effected by water you will have paint failure.
- Scrape and sand down area to remove all failed paint
- apply primer to all raw wood and let dry 24 hours or by directions on the can
- Apply two coats of quality paint to effected area as directed by can
- Caulk all areas where water may be able to penetrate (cracks, joints) with a high quality paintable caulking
We have found the two preventive items that are often over looked in the bathroom are the size of the ceiling fan in relationship on how much air it can remove from room while exhausting the air.
Secondly is the length of a shower without the ceiling fan on, most people can relate if they have teenagers at home.
For a FREE estimate on the repair and or repainting of your bathroom, please contact us at 978-683-9119 or visit us online at RAMSDEN PAINTING WEB PAGE.